There have been Methodists meeting in Levens for over 200 years, and the present chapel is the second to be built in the village. This chapel is around 114 years old and has been modernised inside some 15 years ago.
In 2006 the premises were extended to provide a second [level] access, a new Meeting Room and toilet with disabled access. A sound system with loop facility has been installed to aid those with hearing difficulties.
Over those 15 years our membership has risen from 8 to the current 22. It is our hope that we continue to grow and that our facilities will prove a positive addition to those of our village.
With our position in the centre of the village, the chapel building is convenient for general Community Use and is currently regularly in use for the following activities:-
Community Outreach Post Office - this service is provided by Grange P.O. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 14:15 to 16:45 (excluding bank Holidays)
Village Coffee Shop and Meeting Point. Available to co-incide with Post Office opening times, this is a friendly drop-in tea and coffee shop with facility to meet and chat with each other and occasional visitors from eg Age UK, South Lakeland. There are Books to Borrow and Jigsaws to borrow too. Provided by Christians Together in Levens.
Meeting Room (20 chairs) available by prior booking. There are two-tier fees for this room hire according to purpose and location of organisation using it. Currently Levens Parish Council meets monthly on second Tuesday. Committees as and when required.
General enquiries, including booking enquiries
please ring Jane Jones 07875 163418
Enquiries for Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals
please ring Rev. David Stretton on 01524 761397
We meet for worship each Sunday at 10.30am. (any variations will be shown on our noticeboard posters) As we are members of Christians Together in Levens, we participate, from time to time in United Events. Currently we are joining in All-Age Worship at St.John's Church, usually on the second Sunday in each month at 10am instead of at the Chapel, which will be detailed on our posters.
Worship is followed by a time of fellowship with Coffee/Tea and biscuits and continues until it's time to go home ! Special Services over the Christmas period are detailed on posters, in the Parish Magazine, and in the Christmas Card delivered to every home in Levens.
Rev. David Stretton
Arnmore, Chapel Lane, Arnside, LA5 0AQ
Tel. 01524 761397
Ms. Irene Mc.Kay,
Nada Mas, Church Road, Levens LA8 8PU
Tel. 015395 61881
Irene McKay [see above]
Jane Jones 07875 163418
Mission Statement and Policy
It is the policy of this Church to witness locally to the Good News of the gospel of Jesus Christ. To that end we resolve to:
- Maintain a Welcoming and Worshipping Community in our village that is relevant and available to all.
- Make available such facilities as can be provided to encourage a Social Community attached to our Church, giving opportunities to contact and serve those in the village who are outside the Church.
- To identify and minister to any groups which have need of care, social contact, re-assurance or leadership, and to share our premises whenever possible.
- To co-operate fully with all members of the Christian Community in Levens by playing a full part in the activities of “Christians Together in Levens” and supporting one another in the work of witness in the village and in the wider community.
- To develop an awareness of the needs of Old and Young people in Levens and to encourage activities to involve them in God’s work.
- To give maximum financial support to the proclamation of the Gospel whether locally, nationally or internationally.